email contact

Sunday 21 February 2010

Still Looking Back

My blog posts are like buses: you wait ages for one and then two come at once.

As I said in the blog before last, February is a month of memories of my first visit to Iran. I can’t help looking back at a time when Maman-jun and Aqa-jun were still with us.
On that very first visit, Hossein’s mother led me to sit ‘high up’, i.e. by the ornamental fireplace, farthest from the door, a position accorded to elders and foreigners as a sign of respect because they are less likely to be disturbed by others. Sister removed her black chador, black scarf and overcoat, revealing denim trousers and a red jumper, much like any other young woman back home, and went off to the kitchen.
We sat in the sitting room talking about my family, England, Hossein, my job with Iran Air. My knowledge of Persian at the time was rudimentary: I struggled with words and gestures to make myself understood, but the linguist in me found it enjoyable, if hard going. Aqa Jun cracked a joke that later became a family classic:
“Hossein went abroad to study and got married instead; I want to go abroad to study too!”
“You graduated years ago with five certificates, [their children],”Haj Khanum retorted.
Soon after tea, Haj Khanum asked me to call her “Maman jun” (mummy) and to feel at home. But when I offered to help sister with washing up and laying the lunch spread, she insisted that I remain seated because I was a “guest” and consequently it was their duty to look after me and ensure my comfort. When I pointed out the discrepancy, Aqa Jun laughed with good humour and said I was too clever for my boots.
Last bit to follow tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.